Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Who is this Mowwwses?



This posting makes me feel a little nostalgic.  I've borrowed this write-up from one I did for the Fawcett Ave Conscript blog. I dug up these photos from one of the New Years Games we had back in Winnipeg  around 2002(?), and so I thought I'd post them here for a laugh. Its a rather cheesy chariot race across the Red Sea. My apologies for the crap photos but I think you can get the gist of what went on.



If memory serves me correctly the scenario went something like this: Moses had just parted the Red Sea and legged it across with the slaves. Pursuing them into the middle of the wet seabed is a whole passel of young Egyptian noblemen in their chariots.

The blue foam-board serves as the 'Wall of Water'. The shorter panel at the back moved along the length each turn, serving as the collapsing channel that the charioteers have to escape from. Anything touched by this is fish-food. The surface is just a crumpled roll of packing paper.
Seeing this, Moses asks The Almighty to hit 'flush' and the boys in the chariots have to dash like hell back to their shoreline before they are engulfed by the collapsing water channel. Since all of these young lads are in line for the throne they take this opportunity to thin out the bloodline a bit. A chariot drag/death race ensues, with whips, chariot archers, NASCAR chariot rubbing, attacking sea serpents, seaweed road obstacles and onrushing wall-o-water-from-the-arse all taking their toll.

Here we have a rather blurry shot of the charioteers all vying for position, talking smack while scampering like hell to back to the opposing shoreline.
I drank waaay too much beer with my visiting brothers-in-law and I have no idea who won (Kevin, Rob?), but my recollection is that we had fun. Everyone who rolled-out for the game assembled and painted-up a Wargames Foundry chariot that I provided (which was my Tom Sawyer approach to getting them done-up - sneaky bugger me ;)). Good times, good times!

This temple served as the finish line for the returning charioteers. Note Yul Brynner waiting in his chariot saying, 'Those crazy kids...'


No comments:

Post a Comment